KIM SEELBREDE, LCSW is a New York State licensed psychotherapist, consultant, relationship and well-being expert. Kimberly has a deep respect for the connection between mind, body and spirit. As such, she utilizes a variety of techniques to build awareness of thoughts, feelings, body sensations, and emotions in an effort to help her clients heal. Kimberly completed her graduate training at New York University and has worked in both inpatient and outpatient mental health facilities in New York. She received advanced post-graduate training in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy and CBT from New York University, specialized eating disorder, addictions and compulsions training from the William Alanson White Institute of Psychoanalysis as well as advanced EMDRIA-approved EMDR training, Brainspotting, DBT skills training, Life Coach training, Mindfulness and specialized Couples Therapy training from The Gottman Institute. In 2009, she participated in Donna Karan's Urban Zen Foundation yoga therapist training. She has received integrative yoga therapy training at the 200 + 500 hour levels. Kim regularly attends conferences in neuroscience, complementary medicine, EMDR, yoga, meditation, and other trainings in the field of psychology and spirituality in an effort to stay current on the advances made in mind-body medicine. Currently, Kimberly is deepening her spiritual practice by participating in Shambhala Training: The Complete Path in New York City.
While studying pre-med in undergraduate school, she developed a love of psychology and the interplay of the mind and body connection. As an adolescent, Kim trained in ballet, and was an athlete competing in gymnastics, track, swimming and diving. Her mother entered her in a beauty pageant during her first year of college which she reluctantly followed through with and won the title of Miss Ohio and Miss USA. She then moved to Manhattan where she placed as a runner up in the Miss Universe Pageant held in New York City. She met her future husband at the Miss Universe Pageant, where his family business Candie's shoes was an official sponsor. The couple married and have two grown sons. Kimberly appeared in television commercials, was the Sony Betamax girl, made a few soap opera appearances and finished her undergraduate degree while raising her young children. She completed her Master's degree at New York University in 2002. In the wake of a difficult divorce, the loss of her brother, dad and later her mother, Kimberly discontinued studies as a Ph.D candidate in clinical psychology and sought healing in her yoga practice. Inspired by the health benefits of meditation, yoga and complementary and alternative medicine, she continued working in the mental health field and also embarked on various healing and training adventures.
Kimberly Seelbrede has a special interest in helping clients manage chronic health and pain conditions as a result of her own struggles following a diagnosis of the autoimmune disorder Hashimoto's Thyroiditis over a decade ago. She is delighted to assist clients as a health consultant and coach, empowering those managing thyroid, endocrine and hormonal conditions, autoimmune disorders and other chronic health problems such as Diabetes, MS, Lupus, RA, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. Subsequently, because of her own research and practices, she is able to support and teach clients self-care and holistic practices for mind and body that support optimal wellbeing. As a registered yoga therapist (200 + 500 RYT), Kim Seelbrede trained with the groundbreaking Urban Zen Foundation Integrative Therapy Program - UZIT, where she learned restorative yoga therapy, breathing techniques, essential oils, Reiki, contemplative care and nutrition from such exerts as Rodney Yee, Colleen Saidman Yee, Richard Freeman, Richard Rosen, Pamela Miles, Mark Hyman, MD and Roshi Joan Halifax. As an emotional health expert, she works with women and issues unique to them including life balance, hormone issues and care-taking concerns. When she is not working, Kimberly enjoys photography, yoga, biking, nature, technology, workshops, the beach, food, volunteer work, fashion and collecting vintage and flea market finds.
Kimberly is the most intuitive and gifted therapist that I have ever worked with. I am a physician with a busy work and personal life. Her relationship guidance and advice was extremely helpful. As a scientist, I yearned for deeper meaning. She has helped me connect to my spiritual side and has been my spiritual counselor and go-to therapist for years. Her guided meditations are unbelievable. -SB
Kim Seelbrede is a brilliant, insightful and compassionate therapist. She helped me move from feeling unsafe physically and mentally to leading a less fearful and fuller life. She also made it easy to talk about the most painful parts of my life. The techniques she used for grounding when I experience derealization and depersonalization were invaluable. She helped me get through some difficult situations and not make the same mistakes again. The dissociation that used to occur on a daily basis only happens on occasions and I can manage this now. I'm also grateful for for her knowledge about holistic wellness and nutrition -AF
Kim Seelbrede, LCSW is a gentle yet strong, authentic and graceful soul who "helps" and teaches from a place of strength and real life experience and wisdom. Her willingness to share her own life lessons, challenges and experiences helped me feel less alone in my life as I am not someone blessed with mentors and role models. Thank you Kim for your guidance, intuition and your ability to partner with me to help me create the life I now have. -LR
You are the best! As you know, I quit my life-sucking job and found the courage to do what I really wanted to do, but was afraid because of the "shoulds." I write this from the beach where I now do what makes my heart sing. Remember, "It's all a game," and "everyday is a new day" ;) - JD
My life has been very difficult and traumatic from an early age in many ways. Kim Seelbrede is not one of those life coaches or aspiring spiritual guru types who tells me it's my fault, and that if I had more positive thoughts things would be different. She is spiritual and very intuitive. She helped me develop acceptance and the ability to learn from adversity, become stronger, find passion, move through the pain and learn the lessons that I needed for myself. She was able to help me see important patterns that I was repeating because of my early trauma and interrupt those patterns. Even though she is a highly trained psychotherapist, she has to confidence to try different therapies. She even uses essential oils during EMDR and guided meditations which is a very calming and soothing experience. She is truly compassionate, careful and wise. -KL
EMDR Therapy gave me the best results. I’ve done CBT, biofeedback, hypnosis and other forms of therapy in the past for anxiety and performance blocks. Nothing has compared to EMDR sessions which has led to a panic-free life and a huge reduction in fear during performances and public appearances. -EM
I was not happy with my step down program that my rehab recommended for me and not a fan of twelve steps. I do not believe I have a disease especially because I was diagnosed with PTSD from childhood abuse and trauma. She recommended other meetings for me and I saw her three times a week for recovery support. She helped reinforce what I learned while I was away in rehab. She is trained in DBT so we continued with that using a workbook and practicing situations that might come up in real life. She also continued the EMDR that I started in rehab which helped me to heal from the trauma which I believe is the real reason I was using drugs and self-harming. I have been sober for over a year. -MD
Genius couples therapy. We booked a private weekend workshop and learned and grew more than we ever thought possible. Marriage counseling with Kim Seelbrede saved my marriage and helped us both understand our triggers and some of the dynamics that had a grip on us both. We also developed a deeper love and understanding of each other.-JF
I was sexually abused at a young age by my mother. I’ve been helped more in 1 year working with Kim combining psychotherapy with EMDR than with all the other therapists that I’ve worked with in the last 30+ years. Together we continue to work on trust, shame, attachment issues and releasing the trauma from my body. The EMDR therapy is amazing, but she is also an excellent psychotherapist especially for understanding the past and present. She is intuitive, skilled and very smart. We are still working on some residual problems like relationships, but I trust her completely. She also makes excellent referrals for acupuncture, body work and psychiatrists when needed. -JG
Kim Seelbrede is the best therapist that I have worked with for my trauma issues, and I’ve been in psychotherapy for most of my teen and adult life. She shows empathy and is caring, intelligent, and intuitive. I’ve done EMDR in the past, but her EMDR is more creative than with other therapists and I believe helped me heal. I’ve recommended her to others who have also been helped by her. -RA
Kim Seelbrede is very highly trained and knowledgeable about diagnosis and which kind of therapies to use and when. She is very knowledgable about nutrition, stress problems and hormone issues (thyroid, adrenal) and uses holistic and integrative approaches which was something that I was interested in for myself. I was able to get off of medications that were making me feel “drugged” and giving me bad side effects. Instead we did some treatments that got to the root of the problem and she also gave me techniques from CBT which were extremely helpful. I’m very grateful to have been in her care! -PB
I’ve been seeing Kimberly Seelbrede for many years and she has supported me through very difficult times in my life. She quickly understands challenging, complex situations and has been able to guide me to make better choices during a life crisis. Not sure where I’d be without her professional guidance and genuine caring support. I came from a very violent home, and she helped me to see my strengths, clarify what’s important, learn to discern better and know when I’m stepping into old patterns that I had a tendency to repeat. I believe our relationship and her investment in me helped me heal. I am now in a healthy relationship and I have work that I enjoy. I might have been dead without her ongoing support. She’s always welcoming when I need to come in for extra support. -TS
Education + Post-Graduate Training
New York University - Graduate Level
NYUSSW- Post-Master's Certificate Programs - Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Advanced Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Advanced Clinical Practice, Clinical Approaches To The Addictions, Clinical Practice With Adolescents, Spirituality And Social Work, Executive Coaching
William Alanson White Institute of Psychiatry, Psychoanalysis & Psychology - Eating Disorders, Compulsions & Addictions EDCAS: A course of study that integrates the concepts of Interpersonal Psychoanalysis with those of other treatment modalities and provides a concentrated, practice-oriented educational experience to mental health professionals who work in these areas.
Institute for Life Coach Training - The Institute for Life Coach specializes in training therapists to translate their therapeutic expertise into coaching skills.
EMDR - Advanced level I & II Transforming Trauma with EMDR Comprehensive Training, EMDRIA approved and supervised - Training with Lauren Parnell, PhD, internationally respected EMDR trainer and master therapist. Participated in 80 hour didactic training and 20 hour mandatory supervision with an EMDRIA-approved consultant. This training was approved by the EMDR International Association (EMDRIA).
Brainspotting - Applications for this technique with children, adolescents and adults include trauma, PTSD, complex PTSD, dissociation, attachment disorders, ADHD, somatic conditions, performance and creative blocks, sports psychology, and most DSM diagnoses.
DBT - Dialectical Behavior Therapy Training - Behavioral Tech, LLC
Bridging the Couple Chasm - Gottman Couples Therapy: A Research-Based Approach - The Gottman Institute
Urban Zen Integrative Therapy Training Program (UZIT), RYT 500-Yoga Alliance)- Donna Karan's groundbreaking initiative with Rodney Yee, Colleen Saidman Yee, Richard Freeman, Richard Rosen, Geoffrey Roniger, Pamela Miles, Tracy Griffiths, Lena Falth, Koshin Paley Ellison, Robert Chodo Campbell and Roshi Joan Halifax. The UZIT program includes training in yoga therapy, essential oil therapy with Young Living Oils, Reiki, nutrition, and contemplative end-of-life care. The 12-month curriculum, now in partnership with Yoga Works, included clinical rotations conducted at Beth Israel Medical Center.
Professional treatment for a range of emotional and behavioral issues working with adults, adolescents and couples including:
- Depression / mood disorders
- Anxiety (including generalized anxiety disorder GAD, social anxiety)
- Panic disorder
- ADHD / ADD
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Simple and complex traumas
- Eating disorders & body image distortions
- Low self-esteem
- Identity issues
- Relationship conflicts / interpersonal difficulties
- Intimacy problems
- Parenting support
- Career issues
- Creativity blocks
- Grief & loss counseling
- Substance abuse support for individuals and their families
- Addiction treatment using a modified EMDR method called the Feeling State Addiction Protocol (FSAP)
- Life transitions / change
- Self-defeating behaviors / self-sabotage
- Personality disorders
Couples Therapy and Relationship Counseling
In couples counseling, you may learn how to:
- Communicate more effectively
- Resolve conflicts
- Successfully repair after conflict
- Appreciate the relationship and each other
- Develop shared dreams, values and goals
- Restore closeness and intimacy
- Deal with issues related to sex, desire and intimacy
- Heal from infidelity and betrayals
- Learn to balance work and family responsibilities
- Understand the needs of the other
Life coaching services for executives, professionals, entertainers, athletes, success and achievement-oriented individuals Including:
- Career and personal life balance
- Organization / time management / accountability
- Creativity enhancement & uncovering obstacles and blocks
- Peak performance coaching using EMDR
- Health, wellness & stress management coaching
- Parent coaching and support
- Relationship coaching / dating after divorce
- Corporate wellness & stress reduction
Kimberly Seelbrede provides consultations and resources, offering strategies to help a friend or family member who is struggling with an eating disorder, substance abuse, addiction, mood disorder, anxiety, adjustment difficulties and other issues that may need attention. Consultations tend to be short-term, goal-oriented and educational, with a focus on addressing specific problems. Appropriate recommendations and referrals can be made as necessary.
Treatment for the Following:
- Addiction & compulsions therapy (eating, shopping, sex, hoarding, rituals)
- Alcoholism & chemical dependency recovery support
- Anger management therapy in New York City
- Anxiety / Panic disorder / Agoraphobia therapy using EMDR and CBT
- Attachment & separation issues
- Behavioral & habit disorders / problems in adults and adolescents
- Bipolar disorder
- Career transition support & guidance
- Chronic medical conditions therapy & lifestyle support (e.g. autoimmune disorders, Lupus, MS, Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, cancer)
- Chronic pain support
- Coping skills for teens & adolescents
- Co-dependency therapy
- College students who require stress reduction techniques and structure
- Couples counseling including sexual concerns, relationship, intimacy & communication difficulties
- Creative process & performance blocks for professionals & creatives
- Crisis counseling therapy
- Depression & dysthymia therapy
- Divorce & separation counseling
- Dissociation & derealization
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse & boundaries
- Gay, lesbian & bisexual issues
- Health & medical concerns & pain management for chronic illness
- Insomnia during periods of acute stress or anxiety
- Life coaching for personal, career, performance, stress & wellness
- Identity concerns, identity confusion & body image distortions
- Marriage, couples counseling, family issues, conflict resolution, child custody resolution
- Men’s issues
- Mid-life transition counseling
- Mourning, bereavement and grief counseling & support
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) therapy using CBT and EMDR
- Parenting support & new parent coaching
- Pervasive developmental disorders (PDD)
- Personal growth & self-actualization coaching
- Personality Disorders treatment
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), somatic therapy and EMDR therapy
- Relationship counseling for work & social difficulties
- Self esteem & personal growth therapy
- Self-injurious and self-harm behavior therapist
- Sex positive therapy
- Sexual conflicts and inhibition treatment for men and women
- Sexual abuse therapy & recovery using EMDR
- Sleep hygiene health, wellness & stress management for men and women
- Spirituality & life purpose coaching and support
- Stress reduction coaching
- Trauma / dissociation treatment using EMDR, affect regulation and grounding techniques
- Women’s issues / self-care / transitions & supportive treatment / support for hormonal conditions
- Work & career coaching
- Writer’s performance block & creative blocks using psychodynamic psychotherapy and/or EMDR therapy
- Teens & Adolescents
- College students
- Trauma survivors
- Creative artists, performers & entertainers
- Medical & law professionals
- Celebrities & high-profile clients
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy skills (DBT)
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Crisis Counseling
- EMDR Therapy
- Ego State Therapy or "Parts Work"
- Guided imagery
About Kimberly Seelbrede, LCSW
Kimberly Seelbrede is a New York State licensed psychotherapist with extensive post-graduate training in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, EMDR Therapy, Mindfulness, Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Cognitive-Behavior Therapy (CBT) and specialized Couples Therapy training. Kimberly’s clinical work includes the following: anxiety, depression, relationships, couples therapy, family therapy, addictions, recovery support, compulsions, trauma resolution, stress management, performance difficulties and life transitions. Kimberly conducts weekly psychotherapy sessions in her office, or for established clients who travel, online therapy is an option. Kimberly's interests include lifestyle change and transitions, motivation, mindfulness and stress management, successful communication and managing chronic illness. She conducts intensive couples workshops using her training with The Gottman Institute. Kimberly also supervises mental health and allied health professionals in the areas of case consultation, relaxation training, problem solving and the successful integration of alternative therapies into their private practices. Consultations and appointments can be scheduled by visiting the contact page.
Her background in the performing arts has enabled her to develop a special niche and work successfully with talented, creative, high-profile and celebrity clients. She has the ability to connect and understand the unique challenges these individuals face because of their fame and talents. She has a special interest in helping busy professionals find work/life balance and learn to reduce and manage stress. When she is not helping her clients find the peace and solutions they seek, she enjoys photography, yoga, biking, nature, technology, workshops, the beach, food, volunteer work, fashion and collecting vintage and flea market finds.
Kimberly maintains a private psychotherapy, coaching and consultation practice in New York City. Her areas of expertise includes: anxiety and mood disorders, phobias, obsessions, panic disorder, trauma resolution, sexual dysfunction, burnout, loss and transitions, women's hormone and emotional health, performance enhancement, relationships, stress reduction/management support and crisis therapy. Her post-graduate training in psychiatric and clinical social work, psychology, cutting-edge therapies, the healing arts and yoga therapy, has allowed her to incorporate a broad range of techniques into her therapeutic work with clients. She enjoys the flexibility of being able to integrate relational, interpersonal and insight-oriented therapies, Solution-Focused Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) skills, ACT, EMDR, Brainspotting, Ego State Therapy, Mindfulness and stress reduction/meditation techniques into sessions.
Helpful Healing Resources
Talking Ted Talks
• Susan Cain - The Power of Introverts
• Brene Brown - The Power of Vulnerability
• Brene Brown - Listening to shame
• Andy Puddicombe - All it takes is 10 mindful minutes
• Cameron Russell - Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model
• Amy Cuddy - Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are
Organizations, Campaigns & Foundations
- Urban Zen Foundation
- Coalition For The Homeless
- The Nature Conservancy
- New York Cares
- Sanctuary For Families-Victims of Domestic Abuse
- Housing Works-HIV/AIDS
- Save Tibet
- The Hunger Site
- Farm Sanctuary
- Jane Goodall Institute
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
- Sierra Club Foundation
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Human Rights First
- Food Bank New York
- Global Hunger Project
- Doctors Without Borders
- Make a Wish Foundation
- Gildas Club
- Insight Meditation Society
- Shambhala Sun
- Every Mother Counts
- Reiki In Medicine
- New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care
- UZIT New York City
- UZIT UCLA Health.org
Holistic Wellness Inspiration
- Stefanie Bryn Sacks, MS
- Crazy Sexy Life
- Pema Chodron
- Carolyn Myss
- Christiane Northrup
- Miguel Ruiz
- Andrew Weill
- Marianne Williamson
- Deepak Chopra
- Mike Dooley-TUT
- The Center For Mind Body Medicine - Dr. James Gordon
- The Center For Health and Healing - Beth Israel Hospital
- T. Colin Campbell
Holistic Doctors Who Publish
- Detox the World
- Skinny Bitch
- Choose Veg
- Kristen’s Raw
- Vegan MD
- Gone Raw
- Raw Food Chef
- Green America!
- Nutrition Data
- Kind Green Planet
- Green Your Diet
- Go Veg
- Veg For Life
- Vegan Outreach
- Super Vegan
- The Vegetarian Resource Group
- Clean Water Action
- Guide to Tap Water Filtration
- Ionized Carbon Water Filter
- Fresh Network
- My Spicer
- Learn Raw Food
- Sassy Kitchen
- Sharon Salzberg-Insight Meditation Center
- Tibet House
- Hay House
- A Course In Miracles
- Daily OM
- Tree of Life
- Living Foods Institute
- Environmental Working Group
- Food and Water Watch
- The Guide to Less Toxic Products
- Got Mercury?
- Plum Village- Thich Nhat Hanh
- Art Of Living Foundation
- Life Extension Foundation
- American Herbalist Guild
- American Holistic Health Association
- American Holistic Medical Association Directory
- Massage Therapist USA
- Notes From The Universe
- Rice and Words-Love It!
- Body Burden
- The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
- Skin Deep Database
- Environmental Working Group Guide
- Belief Net
- Angel Therapy
- Hippocrates Health Institute
- Tree of Life
- Fresh Network
- Living Foods Institute
- National Directory of Chiropractors
- American Chiropractic Association
Products and Lifestyle
- Young Living Essential Oils
- doTerra Essential Oils
- Sounds True
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- Bach Flower Essences
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- The Guide to Less Toxic Products
- Veg Out iPhone AppSimply Divine Botanicals
- Barnes & Noble
- ITunes MusicITunes Podcasts
- Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
- Kiehl's body and face care
- Perricone MD-Skin
- Cream de la Mer
- Dr. Hauschka
- Earthen Instant Peel
- Revival Soy Products
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- Dharma Crafts
- Sounds True Tools for Yoga
- Open Center
- Omega Institute
- Village Zendo
- New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care
- Cedar Springs Renewal Center
- Gerson Institute
- Hippocrates Health Institute
- New Life Retreat
- Optimum Health Institute
- Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center
- Hallelujah Acres Diet
- Living Foods Institute
- Upaya Institute
- Zen Meditation Monastery
- Sivananda Ashrams
- Insight Meditation Society
- Ananda Ashram
- Menla Mountain Retreat
- Tricycle Magazine
- Big Shakti-ezine
- Yoga Journal
- My Yoga Online Blog
- LA Yoga Magazine
- Breathing Project
- Yoga Shanti
- Rodney Yee
- Yoga To The People
- Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy
- Gaiam Yoga Club and Products
- Shiva Rea
- Gabrielle Roth Ecstatic Dance
- Parashakti-Dance of Liberation
- Yoga Journal
- Earth Keepers Foundation
Mental Health Resources and Online Links
- DSM Online - The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders is published by the American Psychiatric Association.
- Mental Health Matters - Information and resources about mental health issues for consumers, professionals, students and supporters.
- Mental Health Net
- Mental Health Resources About.com - About.com offers in-depth coverage on a range of mental health issues
- Mental Illnesses/Disorders - SAMHSA
- PsychCentral.com One-stop index for psychology, support, and mental health issues, resources, and people on the Internet, since 1992.
- PsychiatryOnline - The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry.
- Psychwatch - The Online Resource for Professionals in Psychology and Psychiatry.
- Healthlinks - An Online Healthcare and Medical Information Portal.
- Mental-Health-Matters.com - Articles, information and resources on mental health and mental illness, psychological symptoms, traditional and alternative treatments, and medications for psychiatric disorders.
- Psych Links - Mental Health and self help resources.
- Shrink Tank - Comprehensive clinical information site and other therapy.
- GoodTherapy.org - A site that takes a holistic approach to Psychotherapy which offers some good resources as well.
- PsychologyToday.com - A helpful site with related articles of interest and blog posts.
- Questia.com - This site offers a comprehensive library of books.
- Psybersquare.com - A useful site with many relevant articles.
- 4therapy.com - This site has helpful articles and resources related to mental health.
- kimseelbrede.com - My website with resources and other helpful mental health and wellness information including: EMDR therapy, Brainspotting, Somatic Experiencing, psychotherapy, integrative therapy, guided imagery, stress reduction, lifestyle consulting and more.
- Alzheimer's Association - Leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer care, support and research.
- American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry - Information on child and adolescent psychiatry.
- American Psychiatric Association - Organization ensuring humane care and effective treatment for all persons with mental disorder.
- American Psychological Association - Scientific and professional organization that represents psychologists in the United States.
- American Psychoanalytic Association - The oldest national psychoanalytic organization in the US.
- National Institute of Mental Health - NIMH
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - SAMHSA
- Alcoholics Anonymous - Helping alcoholics achieve sobriety.
- Center for Intenet Addiction - Resources for therapists and families.
- Gamblers Anonymous
- Narcotics Anonymous
- Overeaters Anonymous
- SAMHSA's Substance Abuse/Addiction
- SAMHSA's Treatment and Recovery
- Sex Addicts Anonymous
- Web of Addictions - Dedicated to providing accurate information about alcohol and other drug addictions.
- Recovery 411 - The complete directory of recovery resources.
- SoberRecovery.com - Provides thousands of resources for those seeking help from alcoholism, addiction and mental health issues.
- About Teen Depression
- ANAD - National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders.
- Bulimia Guide - Comprehensive Resources.
- Bulimia-Something Fishy - Pro-recovery website.
- DBT-Self Help
- DBT-Panic List - Help for managing distress and self-harm.
- Eating Disorder Information - Blog by a woman in ED recovery
- GURZE - Eating disorders publication and education.
- National Association of Eating Disorders
- National Resource Center On ADHD
- Recover Your Life - Self-harm support for teens and adolescents.
- Something Fishy - Eating Disorder network, support and resources.
- Safe Alternatives - Resource for self-injurious behaviors.
- Teen Depression - Information on teen depression.
- The Dressing Room Project - Positive self image website for girls.
- Young Minds-UK - Self harm solutions
- The Anxiety Panic Intenet Resource
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America
- Anxiety Resource Page/Support
- Answers to Your Questions About Panic Disorder
- National Center for PTSD
- OCD Foundation
- Anxiety Referral Online - A unique referral service specifically designed to help people with anxiety, panic disorder and more
- Health Anxiety Program - The Anxiety and Phobia Treatment Center White Plains Hospital Center.
- Social Anxiety Support - This on-line support group provides interactive forums and special programs to help those who suffer from social anxiety disorder (social phobia).
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- ADDA - Attention Deficit Disorder Association
- Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, NIH
- Born to Explore: The Other Side of ADD/ADHD
- All Made Up: A Girl’s Guide to Seeing Through Celebrity Hype and Celebrating Real Beauty. Brashich, Audrey. New York: Walker & Company, 2006.
- Beautiful Just the Way You Are
- The Beautiful Woman Project
- The Beauty Myth.Wolf, Naomi. New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc., 1991.
- The Body Image Project
- The Body Myth: Adult Women and the Pressure to be Perfect. Maine, Margo and Kelly, Joe. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005 (and others).
- Body Positive
- Body Wars: Making Peace With Women’s Bodies. Maine, Margo. Carlsbad: Gurze Books, 2000.
- Campaign for Real Beauty (Dove’s campaign)
- Cover Girl Culture: Awakening the Media Generation
- Ellen Fisher-Turk (The use of photography and journal writing to change how one sees oneself).
- Endangered Species Women
- Girl Power-Retouch (A demonstration of retouching on a magazine cover).
- Healthy Body Image: Teaching Kids to Eat and Love Their Bodies Too!
- Inside Beauty
- In Your Face: The Culture of Beauty and You. Graydon, Shari. Toronto: Annick Press Ltd., 2004.
- Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising’s Image of Women (A film based on Jean Kilbourne’s lecture).
- Looking Queer: Body Image and Identity in Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender Communities. Atkins, Dawn (ed.). Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Press, 1998.
- The Male Body: A New Look at Men in Public and in Private. Bordo, Susan. New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2000.
- The Media and Body Image: If Looks Could Kill. Wykes, Maggie and Gunter, Barrie. London: Sage Publications, 2005.
- Mind on the Media/Turn Beauty Inside Out Project (Works to foster awareness of images of girls and women in the media).
- National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance
- The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness. Chernin, Kim. New York: Harper & Row, 1981 (and others).
- Real Kids Come in All Sizes: Ten Essential Lessons to Build Your Child’s Body Esteem. Kater, Kathy. New York: Broadway Books, 2004.
- Real Women Project
- This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes and Sizes. Olson, Rosanne. New York: Artisan Books, 2008.
- True Body Project (A journal and film created by teenage girls).
- Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body. Bordo, Susan. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1993.
- The Woman’s Belly Book: Finding Your Treasure Within Sarasohn, Lisa. 2003.
- Dove Campaign for Real Beauty
- Interactive retouching site
- Girl Power-Retouch
Borderline Personality Disorder
- BPD Central
- National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder
- Borderline Personality Disorder Today
- Treatment and Resource Advancement (TARA) National Association for Personality Disorders
- Borderline Personality Resource Center
- DBT self help
- National Alliance of the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
- BPD Home Base
- BPD world
- Yahoo DBT groups
- New York Meet Up BPD Support group
- S.A.F.E. (Self Abuse Finally Ends)
- Sirius Project
- MD Junction Borderline Support Group
- Online self diagnostic test
- Behavioral Tech (Marsha Linehan founder of DBT)
- BPD on Depression Central
Child Abuse and Domestic Violence
- Childhelp USA®
- SAMHSA's Children and Families
- Questions and Answers about Memories of Childhood Abuse
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline Website
- Women, Violence and Trauma
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Center for Disease Control CDC
- CFIDS - Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome Association of America.
- National Council On Problem Gambling
- Gam Anon-Support For Victims of Gambling
- OCD Foundation - Made up of people with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and related disorders
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance
- Bipolar Disorder News - Pendulum.org
- Depression and How Therapy Can Help
- Depression - NASD
- Depression Screening
- Depression Test, Symptoms of Depression, Signs of Depression
- All About Depression - Dedicated to providing accurate, current, and relevant information about clinical depression to the general public.
- Walkers in Darkness - Support and information for mood disorders.
Dissociation and Trauma
- GURZE-Eating Disorders Publications and Education
- National Association of Eating Disorders
- ANAD is the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders
- Eating Disorder Information-blog by a woman in ED recovery
- Eating Disorder Center of New York - An outpatient treatment facility and resource center specializing in the treatment of anorexia nervosa, bulimia and binge-eating disorder.
- Eating Disorder Center of California - Unique Treatment Program for Adolescents and Adults with Anorexia, Bulimia and Exercise Addiction.
- Eating Disorder Referral and Information Center - Edreferral.com is dedicated to the prevention and treatment of eating disorders. They provide information and treatment resources for all forms of eating disorders and provide referrals at no charge to eating disorder practitioners, treatment facilities, and support groups.
- American Dietetic Association
- Something Fishy - ED resources and treatment information.
- Rader Treatment and Resources
- A Place of Hope - The Center for Counseling & Health Resources, Inc. Treatment for Eating Disorders, Drug & Alcohol Abuse, Emotional and Sexual Abuse. Books, Tapes, Supplements, and FREE Reports.
- EMDR Therapist Network - Find an EMDR therapist in New York City
- EMDRIA - Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) International Association
- EMDR Institute - Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) support and resources
- The Ackerman Institute for the Family - Family therapy and divorce mediation
Psychotherapy Agencies and Clinics
- Drug Interactions, DIRECT
- Medical Dictionary
- Medications, FDA
- Medication, Internet Mental Health
- Medications, PDR
- SAMHSA's Psychiatry and Psychology
Hormone Support (PMS, PMDD, Post Partum Depression, Menopause)
- Dr Erika Schwartz-Bioidentical Hormone Expert
- Recommended Treatments
- Power Surge
- Christiane Northrup, MD-Women's Health
- WOMEN TO WOMEN
- Divorce Source - A Legal resource for divorce, custody, alimony and support.
- Equality in Marriage - Educating Men and Women about the Importance of Equality in Marriage and Divorce.
- Millennium Divorce - Developed by divorce lawyers and divorce attorneys, this website provides information and services on a wide variety of issues related to separation, divorce and child custody throughout all 50 states.
- SelfGrowth.com - SelfGrowth.com is the definitive guide to personal growth, self-improvement, and self-help. It also has extensive links related to divorce.
Self Harm/Self Injurious Behaviors
- Dr. Laura Berman, MD
- International Society for the Study of Womens's Sexual Health ISSWSH
- Society for Sex Therapy and Research SSTAR
- My Pleasure
- Toys in Babeland
- The O Tape
- SAMHSA's Suicide
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Suicide, Now is Not Forever
- Suicide: Read This First
Journals and Magazines
- ADHD Report
- Anxiety, Stress and Coping
- Contemporary Hypnosis
- Depression and Anxiety
- Drug and Alcohol Review
- Early Child Development and Care
- Eating Disorders
- Educational Assessment
- Journal of Gambling Studies
- Journal of Happiness Studies
- Journal of Mental Health and Aging
- Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment
- Language and Cognitive Processes
- Loss, Grief & Care
- Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities
- Metaphor and Symbol
- Neuropsychological Rehabilitation
- Personal Relationships
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Psychiatric Bulletin
- Psychology of Men & Masculinity
- Psychology Today
- Stress and Health
- Studies in Gender and Sexuality
- Substance Abuse
- Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior
- Trauma, Violence & Abuse
Research and Press
- USA Today 4/1/09, "Donna Karan Makes Room for Yoga at NYC Hospital"
- YouTube Urban Zen "Voice of the Patient"
- WCNBC-TV Famous Designer Donna Karan Leading Effort to Combine Eastern Practices with Western Medicine at Beth Israel Hospital
- ABC News Diane Sawyer interviews Donna Karan on her foundation Urban Zen and movement toward integrative care for the "whole" patient.
- Lobby on Integrative Medicine with Dr.Oz, Dr.Hyman, Dr.Ornish, Dr.Weil
- New York Times 10/29/08-In One Section of Beth Israel Hospital, Some Patients Are Saying "Om," Not "Ah"
- Energy Medicine - Reiki, Columbia University Medical Center
- Self Injury in Adolescents, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- UMass Medical School - Center For Mindfulness
- Osher Clinical Center For Complementary and Integrative Medical Therapies-Brigham and Women's Hospital
- American College of Physicians (ACP)-Integrative Medicine: Coming to a Hospital Near You
- Jama-Complementary Medicine in the Surgical Wards, Mehmet C. Oz MD, et al
- CAM at Tufts University-Evidence-Based Medicine (EBM) Curriculum
- Mindfulness Blog-Psychcentral
- Psychotherapy Goes From the Couch to the Mat-Time Magazine 4/14/09
Interesting Blogs about therapy, psychotherapy, psychology, neurobiology and more
- Brain Blogger
- In The Room
- Psych Central
- Psychology Today
- Network Therapy
- Changing Minds
- Evolutionary Psychology
- Harvard Business Review
- Medical News Today
- Psy Rel
- Psychotherapy Brown Bag
- REBT Institute Blog
- Science Daily
- The Situationist
- Urban Mindfulness
- Modern Psychoanalysis
- Staff Psychologist
- Commitment to Living
- Dr X's Free Associations
- A Clinician's Journal
- Psychoanalysis Arena
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy Arena
- Psychotherapy and Counselling Arena
- Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry Arena
- Just Noticeable Differences
- PsyBlog: Psychology Blog
- British Psychological Society
- Relaxed Therapist
- Laura’s Psychology Blog
- Psychology News Blog
- Modern Psychoanalysis
- Dr Deborah Serani
- Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry: A Closer Look
- Psychotherapy Perspectives
- Health Psych
Mental Health Links
Addiction and Recovery
Associations & Institutes
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Child Abuse and Domestic Violence
Dissociation and Traumatic Stress
Journals & Magazines
Medications and Health Supplements
Mental Health Care General Links
Suicide Awareness and Hotlines
Additional Mental Health Care & Counseling Resources
Psychotherapy, Psychoanalysis and General Psychology Books:
The Interpersonal World of the Infant: A View from Psychoanalysis and Developmental Psychology - Daniel N. Stern
An Elementary Textbook of Psychoanalysis - Charles Brenner
Psychoanalytic Diagnosis: Understanding Personality in Structure in the Clinical Process - Nancy McWilliams PhD.
Relational Concepts in Psychoanalysis: An Integration - Stephen A. Mitchell
Object Relations Theory and Clinical Psychoanalysis - Otto F. Kernberg
Why Is It Always About You: The Seven Deadly sins of Narcissism - Sandy Hotchkiss & James F Masterson
The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self - Alice Miller
The Worry Cure: Seven Steps to Stop Worry from Stopping You - Robert L. Leahy. The Worry Cure is his new, comprehensive approach to help you identify, challenge, and overcome all types of worry, using the most recent research and his more than two decades of experience in treating patients.
Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life - Linda Martinez-Lewi. In Freeing Yourself from the Narcissist in Your Life, psychotherapist Linda Martinez-Lewi presents an in-depth and supportive plan for identifying, understanding, and dealing with high level narcissistic behavior in those close to you.
Unchained Memories: True Stories of Traumatic Memories Lost and Found - Lenore Terr
Touched with Fire: Manic-Depressive Illness and the Artistic Temperament - Kay Redfield Jamison
Trapped in the Mirror - Elan Golomb. The difficulties experienced by adult children of narcissists can manifest themselves in many ways: for examples, physical self-loathing that takes form of overeating, anorexia, or bulimia; a self-destructive streak that causes poor job performance and rocky personal relationships; or a struggle with the self that is perpetuated in the adult’s interaction with his or her own children.
Loves Executioner - Irvin D. Yalom. The collection of ten absorbing tales by master psychotherapist Irvin D. Yalom uncovers the mysteries, frustrations, pathos, and humor at the heart of the therapeutic encounter. In recounting his patients’ dilemmas, the author provides a glimpse into their personal desires and motivations and his own struggles to reconcile his all-too human responses with his sensibility as a psychiatrist.
Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence — from Domestic Abuse to Political Terror - Judith Herman
Thoughts Without a Thinker: Psychotherapy From A Buddhist Perspective - Mark Epstein. Thoughts Without a Thinker is a major contribution to today’s exploding discussion of how Eastern spirituality can enhance Western psychology. In it, Mark Epstein argues that the contemplative traditions of the East can be extremely beneficial to patients, not just in helping them recognize their problems, but by giving them the strength to heal.