#shrinkthinks DBT Quick Reference :: Holiday Survival Skills For Anxiety, Addiction Triggers, Emotions And Problem Behaviors
Many of my psychotherapy patients ask for a Dialectical Behavior Therapy or a DBT cheat-sheet to have handy because... life happens, it's easy to feel overwhelmed, and it's hard to remember what to during those challenging moments! This is a basic list to remind you that you DO have other options at your disposal to help you better manage your relationship problems, trauma symptoms, addiction and eating disorder triggers, anxiety, depression, self-harm urges, relationship challenges, stress and strong emotions. With the holiday season comes lots of stress--and with no shortage of emotional triggers--people struggle with: alcohol and food in abundance, family stressors and memories that reignite feelings of anger, loss, sadness, longing and loneliness.
Even though situations and stressors are present, DBT can help you make healthier choices for yourself! A good place to start is to remember to focus, breathe and be mindful. When the skills don't work (as they often don't), remember to move to Distress Tolerance and take a pause from whatever you're experiencing. Practice Radical Acceptance, Self-Soothing techniques and use Distractions. Therapy clients can use diary cards to keep track of the unhelpful and destructive thoughts and behaviors that create ongoing problems. Diary cards can also be used to record your helpful coping mechanisms. Remember: personal success and effectiveness, positive feelings and change is possible when you practice. If you are new to Dialectical Behavior Therapy, you can learn more about DBT Treatment here...
Quick reference list of skills for DBT users. Here you go...
- Wise Mind (intuition and a "felt sense")
Crisis survival and using Wise Mind Accepts...
- Use ACCEPTS: Activities, Contributing, Comparisons, Emotions, Pushing away, Thoughts, Sensations
- Use Self-Soothing with the five senses: Sight, Sound, Scent, Touch, Taste
- Use IMPROVE the moment: Imagery, Meaning, Prayer, Relaxation, One thing at a time, Vacation, Encouragement
Using Accepting Reality...
- Pros and Cons
- Radical Acceptance
Using Reduce Vulnerability...
- PLEASE: Treat Physical iLlness, balance Eating, Avoid drugs and alcohol, balance Sleep, Exercise daily
- Build Mastery
- Build Positive Experiences
- Be mindful of current emotion
- Opposite-to-Emotion Action
- Use DEAR MAN: Describe, Express, Assert, Reinforce, stay Mindful, Appear confident, Negotiate
Using Relationship Effectiveness...
- Use GIVE: be Gentle, act Interested, Validate, use an Easy manner
- Use FAST: be Fair, no Apologies, Stick to values, be Truthful