Relationships, Partnerships + Couples
Couples + Marital Therapy, Relationship Counseling, Pre-Marital Counseling
Couples therapy or relationship counseling is designed to help clients work through relationship and communication problems and create or reconnect to love, mutual respect and intimacy. I work with high-functioning couples and couples in crisis to help them heal, listen for and understand the emotional needs of the other. Effective couples therapy should provide helpful feedback, support and guidance so that communication can feel safe and constructive. Additionally, couples can learn tools to navigate problems, work through conflicts and increase the attachment bond, which results in deepened intimacy and trust. Kim Seelbrede works with heterosexual and gay couples and has received training with The Gottman Institute and integrates principles of EFT or Emotionally Focused Therapy and Non-Violent Communication into sessions with clients.
What Gottman's research tells us about relationships:
- Emotional distance can be as destructive to a relationship as conflict
- The way a couple fights, repairs and resolves problems is more important than what they fight about
- Attachment insecurity leads to conflict and or distance
- In distressed relationships, some partners shut down and withdraw as a way to manage intense emotions
- Couples must nurture fondness and respect for the other in order to thrive together
- Couples need shared meaning in their lives to remain connected
Couples therapy or relationship counseling supports couples experiencing external stressors such as illness, job loss and family conflicts as well as natural shifts in couple dynamics and roles. Some individuals benefit from individual sessions without their partner to help them work on personal challenges and relational needs before working together with a couples therapist. Kim Seelbrede counsels individuals and couples in various types and stages of relationships including: pre-marital counseling, marriage counseling, committed relationships, open relationships, as well as those considering separation, divorce, newly-single and dating again. Sessions are available weekly, bi-monthly or as weekend intensives in her Manhattan-based office or online via FaceTime or Skype. Learn more about relationship and couples counseling here.